If you’re into fashion, then you undoubtedly heard about Ralph Lauren. One of the most recognizable names in the entire fashion industry, Ralph Lauren is known for high quality shirts, designer dresses, and much more.
While many people only see the end result, or the products, that a person puts their name (or company name) and reputation to, there are many other aspects to their life. Here are 8 things you probably didn’t know about Ralph Lauren, and if you’re a fan of his fashions, you’ll be glad you know them now.
- His greatest design challenge wasn’t for royalty, but for his daughter. He would get emotional talking about the terror he felt trying to design something perfect for her. Isn’t that almost always the case, though? We all have a tendency to want our own children to have the best of everything.
- He feels like he represents the United States wherever he goes. Because there are 452 Ralph Lauren stores in over 80 countries, he believes that he and his brand represent the best of what the United States has to offer. Whenever he travels, he acts like an ambassador to the country he’s in and takes great pride in it.
- His Double RL Ranch was home to the filming of John Wayne classic ‘True Grit.’ He owns a sprawling property in Colorado named the Double RL Ranch, which is named for his shared initials of his and his wife, Ricky.
- He chose the name Polo Ralph Lauren because he loves sports. He wanted something to associate with sports and felt that polo was a more internationally recognized sport than many American sports. He also felt that it was more sophisticated.
- He doesn’t prefer to call himself a fashion designer. He says that term wasn’t around when he was growing up. He also doesn’t like to think he’s all about fashion. Instead, for him, it’s all about living.
- He and his wife don’t get free clothes. Because the company is a public one, he doesn’t get to pick and choose whatever he wants from their collection for free. They still need to pay for their clothing, though they certainly get a discount.
- He once dreamed of becoming Batman. When he was a child, he admits that he used to want to grow up and become Batman. Becoming a superhero is no small task, and to many of his ardent fans, that’s exactly what he became in real life.
- His defining moment in life was when he was a counselor at a camp. He claims he was voted ‘General’ for the Color War they had and it was in that moment that he realized he was special.
As you can see with Ralph Lauren’s life, there are plenty of challenges people face, and even those famous fashion designers, celebrities, and corporate executives who may appear to be larger than life are really no different than you or I. The big difference was that they pursued their dreams and never gave up believing in them.
Written by G. T. Hedlund