I know. Sometimes it is difficult to keep calm, to remain elegant, to talk in a soft voice, to actively listen, to express empathy towards various situations. We live a challenging life, with many stressful moments, with lack of patience and friendly attitude. Although we know we should keep the proper etiquette, most of us have tough moments in complying with our education patterns.
Doubtless, being a classy woman is about education and etiquette and this is why, today, I’m not going “to attack” just the fashion aspects when we refer to the term classy, but rather the whole matter.
What should I keep in mind when aspiring to be a classy lady?
Tough question. Maybe. But it’s not quantum physics. If we look at the real classy people around us, we will definitely observe one thing in common: they do not want to demonstrate anything to anyone thus egocentrism is not something familiar to them, but rather something to avoid. As a matter of fact, they are themselves. Simple as that.
A good starting point, right?
So, in a nutshell, start your journey towards a classy you from the inside out and always work on it:
- Be modest.
- Be authentic.
- Be kind.
And remember one important lesson: being classy has nothing to do with having money, but with character. It is quite interesting that, from my experience, many rich people have nothing to do with class and elegance, nor modesty or kindness. On the contrary.
However, this is not a subject today. We want to keep the classy woman inside us alive with the beauty and character intact.
Maybe some of you will ask me what I do to be a classy lady. Well, I don’t know if my recipe is universal or at least of any good, but all I can tell you is that my solutions never fail me so I have all the reason to keep them and even improve on them constantly.
My 5 keys to stay a classy woman are simple and appeal to common sense. No scientific approaches for today.
1. Have a pleasant and elegant appearance
- Dress and make-up properly for the respective time of the day
- Don’t over accessorize
- Always treat your nails with a manicure or, at least, keep a neat appearance of your hands
- Don’t wear cheap clothes or low quality accessories
- Don’t use perfume excessively and use it accordingly for the time of the day
- Don’t go out without a minimum caring
- Walk with elegance and care
- Have a great posture
- Let the man have his part in the story; don’t play his role just to show him you are independent
2. Talk and listen as you were once educated in a school and by your family
- Speak grammatically correct
- Keep your voice lower
- Speak eloquently
- Don’t curse
- Be polite and always use the three magic words: thank you and please
- Don’t talk over your dialogue partner
- Don’t stop reading… ever
- Don’t fake the smile
- Do it with all your face, with your eyes and mouth
- Don’t smile when the situation does not ask for it just because you think this would make the situation better
4. Keep your calm
- Don’t yell under any circumstances
- Don’t speak as your mouth is not connected to your brain
- Don’t ruin relationships just because you feel the need to be right all the time
- Refuse a proposal with delicacy
- Don’t gossip
- Apologize every time the situation asks for it
5. Know your value and show it with elegance
- Don’t forget about yourself by starting to get fat, look older and sloppy
- Understand that aging brings wonderful things too and that aging is a matter of spirit firstly and then a matter of appearance
- “Wear” your age with dignity and pride
- Learn to take a compliment and don’t start with that “no big deal” attitude
Staying a classy woman is sometimes even harder than becoming one. Either way, one final consideration: stay feminine and don’t try to have a masculine attitude just because “it is safer“ in today’s society. You were born a woman. If God needed you as a man, he would have done something in this regard.
Written by Anne Matea