Decades ago, jeans and heels was an almost impossible combination: while the classy heel revealed an elegant and stylish code, the jean was clearly seen as a casual outfit proper for loose T-shirts and sneakers or boots.
The last decade has been very prolific in terms of combining these two feminine clothing items, the sophistication of the heel with the comfort of the jeans. Once again, fashion teaches us two important life lessons:
- Everything is possible, including wearing jeans with heels.
- Never say never, and by that we mean that even some of us rejected the idea of wearing jeans with heels, now certainly fell into the sweet trap of the fashion trends and tried the “fatal” combination.
However, pairing the jeans with the right heel shoes can be a challenge to many, especially today when there is a large variety of colors and cuts for the jeans, long or short, more or less accessorized, ripped, with buttons, with animal imprints or glittering accents.
Before choosing the jeans and heels, you should keep in mind these 3 basic rules:
- your silhouette dictates the cut of your jeans; even if they seem a wearable fashion item, jeans need special attention because, more than other clothing pieces, they may underline body flaws;
- the cut of the jeans asks for the type of heel of the shoe;
- when it comes to color, the blue jeans are by far the most preferred, easy to match and open to infinite options.
Tough rules? Hard to follow? Don’t worry. We will help you with our top 3 trendy jeans and heels pairing rules.
Rule number 1:
Skinny jeans, the popular cut today.
- Who should wear them? Fit girls. They are not recommended for short chubby women or for skinny silhouettes.
- What heel shoes should you pair? Almost any type, but preferably pump shoes. It is ideal to leave the ankle free either with shorter jeans or by simply rolling up the jeans. It is also a very good idea to pair the skinny jeans with stilettos. High heeled boots are also a very interesting choice.
- What color of shoes should you choose? Natural tones are very welcome as they tend to make your legs look longer which is a must when wearing skinny jeans: beige, ivory, grey. Black is always a good choice, of course.
- What should you avoid? Overdressing in the superior part of the body, such as glittering blouses, sophisticated and classy skirts. Skinny jeans and high heels are quite risky because this combination, if it’s not designed with quality item, will make any of you look rather cheap than trendy.
Rule number 2:
Boyfriend jeans, the very popular cut in 2015, they look absolutely great, they have a loose appearance, and they are usually ripped and rolled up. The nice part is that you may find some jeans with glittering accents or other accessories looking fantastic and very stylish.
- Who should wear them? Almost anyone. No tough restrictions, this time.
- What heel shoes should you pair? Stilettos, but also pumps and chunky heels.
- What color of shoes should you choose? Colored shoes, in vivid tones: yellow, red, pink, green, blue, with floral prints. Natural tones are also welcomed.
- What should you avoid? Too tight or too loose blouses are not a good idea, short jackets.
Rule number 3:
Straight cut jeans, a very popular choice, transcending the years and trends, they are either low or high waist, being a little wider than the leg. However, they are more similar to the skinny jeans, not to the boot cut jeans which are pretty large on the entire length of the leg.
- Who should wear them? Everyone.
- What heel shoes should you pair? Stilettos are very welcomed, but also hidden pump shoes.
- What color of shoes should you choose? Either one color shoes or various prints: floral, dots, square.
- What should you avoid? Loose T-shirts are definitely a no-no.
Written by Anne Matea